At 01:18 PM 9/17/2006, Brad A. Steffler wrote:
>I was almost ready to start building a dual core box, on which to run
>Power SDR.  However, this piece of news is causing me to take
>a wait and see hold up for 3-4 months:
>      http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/09/10/four_cores_on_the_rampage/
>
>This is a review of  a four core processor at Tom's Hardware Guide site.
>The initial review is promising, especially for those of us who
>want tor run several programs at once on one machine (possibly with dual
>or triple monitors).

You hardly need multiple cores for this.  I run two or three monitors
on a fairly vanilla Dell at work with XPpro without much of a
problem.  Multiple monitor support is more a matter of choosing
appropriate video cards that have the right acceleration that works
for the applications YOU want to use (e.g. what's good for 3D
rendering and gaming might not be optimum for scrolling through documents).

I would suspect that for most people, CPU is not the limiting
resource.  Rather it's something like memory bandwidth and/or size,
cache size (memory bandwidth in a different form), or disk bandwidth.

Jim, W6RMK