I love Willi's practical approach to things.  I mean it is not as if we
are attempting to preserve the beauty of this black box!  I did exactly
this on a radio I was having trouble with doing a demo.   I do suspect
that there are some who would feel uncomfortable removing the stack to
drill the holes which is required to prevent damage to the connectors.
But,  this allowed the cheapest plug to seat properly and deox removed
the microOhm resistance oxidization build up (my stinking greasy fingers
and their acid "reflux" ).

Bob
N4HY

Willi Reppel wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> One possible cure to avoid said jiggling and twisting of the plugs is to
> drill larger holes into the backplate of the SDR1000 enclosure. The
> relatively small holes may prevent certain types of male plugs to reach the
> bottom of the female connectors. Gold-plated plugs here in the old countries
> have normally a larger diameter than the holes. Also, the holes in the
> cabinet may not be con-centric with the rings of the female connectors of
> the board stack and the larger holes I drilled make sure that the plugs are
> properly seated. No more jiggling here since a long time ago.
>
> 73 es gl
> SM6OMH  Willi

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat.
You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los
Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly
the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there.
The only difference is that there is no cat." - Einstein