I know you will be happy that the generation and shaping you suggest is
exactly what we do and what can be done either on the PC or the "Janus"
board (new USB widget).  The shaping derived by Frank for CW produces
the most gorgeous scope patterns one can imagine for the elements.
Predistortion can easily be added to the transmit IF filtering (as a
convolution with the transmit filter).  This has NOT been done.  The
transmit IQ/waveform distortion problem is a tough nut to crack without
a sensor (which would essentially be another receiver).

73's
Bob
N4HY

--