-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Bob Bower
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 2:34 PM
To: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Ready to take the programming plunge

        My old base station of thirty years (an FT200) has finally died and
I need a new rig.  I've been hanging my nose over the SDR1000 for some
months now. It appears to be the future, but at the same time my natural
comfort zone says the easy option is an FT2000 or the like.  I've done
plenty of  programming in archaic languages like Quickbasic - I'm a maths
teacher and over the past eight years or so I've developed a complete suite
of programs to teach numeracy for the whole of the Scottish secondary school
curriculum, which I use on a daily basis with my classes.  I've had to
beg,steal or borrow hand-me-down PCs in order to get a complete class set of
30 machines - the corollary is that the lowest common OS denominator has had
to be MSDOS (as I said, archaic).  My immediate reaction to the SDR concept
was "Wow - just what I need to progress my programming skills into my
retirement - and what a great way to combine two aspects of my interests."

  However, rather than just throw money at it, it seemed sensible to check
out this forum first.   Having read Richard  Stasiask's  very encouraging
message of a few days ago I thought "that's it! - time to buy" - but then
I've been equally dismayed by other messages since then, of which I cannot
make much sense - can I emphasise here that I'm not trying to be in any way
offensive to anybody - but, my goodness, from my rather basic (no puns
intended) programming skill level there appears to be an awful lot of
jargon!

  Is there anyone out there feeling the same way as me?  Am I wasting mental
energy even contemplating the prospect of ever being about to effect
personal changes to PowerSDR?

Bob GM4DLG