Jon,

There is no regulation against scanning amateur frequencies.  It is a hardware
regulations issue.

My understanding of the issue is as follows:  The SDR-1000 is marketed as an
amateur radio transceiver, which does not require certification by the FCC.
With the scanning code present in the version of the code supplied by
Flex-Radio, the SDR-1000 falls under the definition of a "scanning receiver"
which DOES require certification.  Certification would add a tremendous cost
burden to Flex-Radio, not to mention of all of the ramifications of having to
deal with the Federal bureauracy at an additional level.   Also, scanning
receivers must not be readily modifiable to scan certain prohibited frequencies
(cell phones).  Therefore, scanning would mean that we (the users) would not be
able to modify the software (no more open source code).

73, Ray, K9DUR