From: Eric Wachsmann [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 1:22 PM
To: 'Mark Amos';
Subject: RE: [Flexradio] Question regarding commercial AM broadcasters'
carrieraccuracy

One thing that I would say is that getting an accurate calibration down in
the broadcast AM band is pretty tough depending on your tools for
measurement.  Reason being that what you are correcting for (mainly) is
error in the 200MHz oscillator.

That error gets divided down to whatever frequency you are using to
calibrate.  So, for example, if you calibrate at 1MHz, an error of 200Hz at
the LO (200MHz) would show up as a 1Hz error ( 200Hz / (1MHz / 200MHz) ).
This means that you will likely find a wide range of acceptable DDS clock
values that are fairly accurate because adjusting the clock doesn't make
that much difference around 1MHz.

For this reason, it is best to calibrate at a higher frequency.  If
possible, try calibrating up in the 52MHz range for an optimal frequency
calibration as the error isn't divided down nearly so far.  Obviously this
isn't as trivial as finding a strong signal on WWV, but for those that
really want a good calibration, higher frequencies on a signal generator are
better.

Eric Wachsmann
FlexRadio Systems