At 11:49 AM 11/17/2006, Jerry Flanders wrote:
>I was thinking of RTTY, and the effect on the transmitted signal if
>the signal supplied to the (non-linear final) amp has any distortion
>at all, which is then made even worse in the amp.
>
>Or, asked another way, what would be the distortion limit of the
>exciter in order to transmit a "clean" RTTY signal from a non-linear
>(think C or E class) power amp using the SDR-1000 as the exciter?

It would depend on the type of distortion, but, in general, Class C
and/or Class E/F amplfiers are using the input signal more as a
phase/frequency reference.  In a class C, the driver has to have
enough power to drive the active device into saturation or cutoff as
needed, but that's more a voltage swing thing for tubes and
fets.  For FETs the big problem is enough drive current to charge and
discharge the gate capacitance.

Jim, W6RMK