-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Marzan, Edwin
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 3:44 PM
To: FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: [Flexradio] S - Meter Emulation

After a couple of hours of putting together the Elecraft XG-1 kit I
finally calibrated my S meter setting the level  to -73dBm and was
surprised to see that the readings were so much lower than that of  my
Yaesu FT-847 that it seemed something was wrong. I checked the archives
here and it appears that I'm not the only one to notice a huge
discrepancy between the Flex-Radio and other transceivers. The general
consensus is that the FlexRadio has the most accurate S meter.

I must admit that I expect my S meter to move every time I receive a
signal so it does seem a bit weird when I'm hearing weak stations and
the meter just doesn't budge. A few other hams who visited the shack
commented on the low readings and when I explained that I read that the
Flex had the more accurate meter my statement raised a few eyebrows.

So, do we Flexers want our S meters to behave as they have for most of
our lives? Inaccurate but lively or accurate and sluggish? Perhaps it
would be worthwhile to submit a feature request that would address this
situation. Sort of an S meter emmulator. We can ask the designers to
take a few of the most popular transceivers and analyze how their S -
meters behave and have the FlexRadio emmulate it. One day I can set it
to Kenwood 870, or the next day a Yaesu FT-1000 or somesuch.

I once calibrated my S meter to the signal of a local AM station so that
it would read +60 and I felt more comfortable since the readings were a
lot closer to my Yaesu FT847. Also note that when I tested my Yaesu
FT847 with the Elecraft XG-1 the reading came to +30! That was a real
shocker! Could there be a problem with the Elecraft putting out more
than it should? I don't believe I made any mistakes building the unit
but one never knows.

What do you think? S meter emulation? Our radios should behave the way
we we're used to, shouldn't they? I'm hitting a guy with +20 and he's
hitting me with S7. It just doesn't seem right.

Thanks for reading.

Edwin Marzan
AB2VW