At 10:38 AM 1/3/2007, Lyle Johnson wrote:
>>Having done this kind of thing (assemble digital and RF modules
>>into systems) for a living for many years, I would also encourage
>>settling on some standardized chassis form factor, so all the
>>modules stack nicely together.  And, for gosh sakes, standardize on
>>where the cooling vents and connectors are.
>>I can easily see something like a SDR1000 TRX module (with the DDS
>>and the QSD/QSE) mated with a somewhat different interface module
>>(so you aren't tied to printer ports) and a couple buffer
>>amplifiers that has a RF out and RF in connector at the few milliwatt level.
>
>Sounds a lot like "Phoenix" in the HPSDR project... <
>URL:http://hpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=PHOENIX >

It is.  And there's other versions out there.  What I was originally
thinking about was how one could leverage off what's available today
(i.e. the SDR1000), but the Phoenix approach is equally valid.  I'd
use discrete interconnects rather than a backplane, but that's
personal preference.

There's also the question of whether the data conversion should be
integrated with the RF module.  There's good and bad for both
approaches, but philosophically, I like considering the RF module
being a RF on one end and (high speed serial) digital data stream on the other.

Jim, W6RMK.