> >> ... It makes no sense to run anything but Linux on
> >> the embedded controllers and then have them be a server.
> >
> > Um, I respectfully disagree.  It may make no sense to run Vista / XP /
> > Windows-flavor-of-the-era on an embedded controller, but if, for
> > example, one wants to embed a DSP inside an SDR, it doesn't necessarily
> > need to run Linux, and the DSP does not have to be Intel or AMD silicon
> > with their many watts of power dissipation.
> >
> > It just needs to do be able to do the signal processing and have a way
> > to get data in and out, get commands in and get status out.  SDX and
> > Suitsat2 (aka Odyssey) are examples of this.
> >
> > 73,
> >
> > Lyle KK7P
> >

> This has been my position as well.  I'm still not sure we don't want to
> make this a classic peripheral as opposed to a network appliance.  Putting
> it on the network, even a home network, raises questions about securing
> the radio (as a control operator) that having it as the equivalent as a
> printer does not.  Securing an OS is a problem we all already have --
> securing a home network with an intelligent device on it awaiting commands
> is one I don't have right now, at least.
>
> A peripheral approach should also make the power up cycle a bit faster and
> a bit more surely out of some sort of flash ROM as opposed to some more
> sophisticated boot source.  It could still do Linux (I've heard of some
> really good startup times if you get rid of some of what BIOS does and
> replace it with Linux specific stuff), but it needs to be simple, fast,
> and do as little beyond controlling the radio as possible.
>
> But, if a network appliance is what it takes to solve my problems, I'll
> accept that.  I just don't prefer it.
>

> Larry  WO0Z

There is no reason why you could not have the Linux box interfaced to
a physical front panel so everything outside the box looks like a
conventional radio.  Booting from Flash is not problem for Linux so
you could do without the mechanical hard drive.  There would be no
need to network the radio unless you wanted to ( some do ).

The one problem with this approach is it is power hungry in portable
battery powered uses.  This is a place where I would expect Lyle's
approach would shine (with a QSD/PLL LO based radio... high speed ADCs
are still very power hungry).

Phil N8VB