----- Original Message -----
> At 08:41 AM 1/7/2007, K0MV wrote:
>>Those of you who have Tivo boxes will recognize this.
>>
>>The feature is a continuous recording of the last 5 minutes of the
>>received signal.  You can rewind and go back to see if you copied that
>>DX callsign correctly, or maybe try a narrower filter.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Chuck k0mv

I suggested this TIVO-like replay feature while chatting just before the
11/1 Town Meeting.  I'd like to see it work just like the TIVO replay
feature:  a pre-determined amount of recorded history in a moving window
(circular buffer) with the ability to rewind, fast-forward, slow-motion or
just go back 15 seconds at a time.  Additionally, when going in slow-motion
the audio could be scaled to normal pitch.  This would really help when
trying to pull out that weak one that insists on sending CW at 30+ WPM.  I
think the IF should be recorded so that filters can be adjusted during
playback.  Total size of the recording window should be adjustable.  At 192
KHz sampling, the storage requirements are not that large.  Just use a file
for the buffer.  My TIVO box maintains a 30 minute buffer for two separate
channels.  Doing the same here requires a lot less storage.

How would I use it?  Primarily for getting the callsign of a weak station in
a pileup (usually on 160M or 80M), but I can also see using it for
weak-signal VHF/UHF work.  I can't imagine using it much in a contest.
There usually isn't time for that kind of instant playback, unless you're
much better at multi-tasking than I am.

73,
Clay  W7CE