Edwin,

I am using a Heil Proset Plus, usually with the HC 5 element selected, with a
Delta-44 sound card.  I noticed the same problem if I set the mic gain too
high.  With the Heil, it is a challenge getting the mic gain high enough
without getting into self-oscillation.  I bought an NCS Multi-Switcher
(http://www.ncsradio.com/m_switch.html) which has a built-in mic pre-amp.
Increasing the audio level through the Multi-Switcher & dropping the Mic Gain
on PowerSDR solves the problem.  Seems like the Heil HC 5 cartridge needs a wee
bit of external pre-amp for optimum use with the SDR-1000.

73, Ray, K9DUR