>Interesting Mike, I like puzzles. To far away to see for myself. ;-)
>

>- What does the set on a 50 ohm dummyload?
>

>- Sure no crooked cables (lose shields are a common problem when you
>move cables).

Oh yeah.. been there, been bitten more than once.  Some BNCs (and Ns)
are notorious if the cable got "stretched", and the center pin pulls
back a bit so it doesn't engage the other side quite right.

>- Sometimes it is interesting to see what a 3 or 6 dB attenuator
>between the transmitter
>
>    and the SWR meter changes in the SWR. I don  not think it will
> differ, but I wonder.

A handy thing to have is some known mismatches (1.5:1, 2:1)... even a
couple 50 ohm loads and a T connector.

And, then, as Peter suggests, a couple 3dB pads or a 10dB pad can be
a real useful diagnostic thing, especially when cascading multiple
things.  If putting in the 3 dB pad makes more than a 3dB difference,
you KNOW something weird is going on.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075