Ed,

I use external audio gear and keep the Flex transmit audio unchecked
or flat,  but the external gear is so that the other radios in my
station will sound the same..   But since I almost exclusively use
the Flex,  I could just connect my microphone directly into the sound
card (or box in the case of the FireBox and Fa-66)  and not have any
of this external gear.   A little over a year ago, the equalization
options were changing with every version and did make it difficult to
keep up with,  but even the Alpha versions have been stable for quite
a while,  so operating directly in is now a good option.   Now we
even have a noise gate like the IHY boxes, in the console..

I love this radio stuff!!

73,
Dudley
WA5QPZ