Flexers,

This is slightly off topic, but I've seen several folks' postings about tuning
to WWV for "pretty good
accuracy".

I wondered how close one can actually get by tuning to WWV, practically. I know
it depends on where you are,
atmospheric conditions, etc. But what are the practical upper boundaries to the
accuracy of WWV calibration
using the "phase" display, given a stable local oscillator in the Flex.

I use a GPSDO (at 10MHz) for my "master oscillator". When I tune to WWV it's
always within 1 Hz of where it
was last time I checked. It's typically within .5 Hz or so (based on how long
it takes for the phase display
to cycle) but I haven't done any systematic testing for diurnal variations,
etc.

This is of philosophical / developmental interest to me - I'm interested in
learning more about this. What
are the relative magnitudes of the different factors at play - for example,
does sound card variability
contribute more or less than variability due to propagation, etc.? Does the ADC
oscillator variability swamp any varibility due to internal Flex-Radio
component drift? questions like that.

Thoughts on this or pointers on learning more?

Mark