At 01:16 PM 3/4/2007, Tim Ellison wrote:
>Here is an explanation of what might be going on.
>
>If when you experience the condition where the noise floor is 20 dB
>lower than expected and you are NOT hearing any signals, something is
>probably amiss with the DDS.
>
>This phenomenon you are experiencing is when the DDS gets "stupid",
>meaning that the software can not communicate or control the DDS.  This
>isn't a problem with the DDS but is more of a symptom than the actual
>root problem.  As soon as you cycle the rig PowerSDR re-established
>communication with the DDS and all is usually well again.

One sure cause of the DDS getting stupid is it getting too hot.  That
puppy dissipates a lot of heat, and in the older SDR1000s without a
heatsink, you need a fairly decent airflow (100 LFPM or better) over
the top of the DDS or it WILL overheat, even in an airconditioned
lab. I haven't tried it with warm air flowing, just with 25-30C lab
air.  It might be that even if you flow air across it, if the air is
at, say, 40C, you're going to have problems.

Might even be the case with a heatsinked DDS, but I don't have any of
those to experiment with.

>-Tim, W4TME

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075