Well, thank you Gerald.  To paraphrase: "Looked at using USB, and it
couldn't meet the throughput requirements."

Sounds like just about the best possible reason to me,

de Peter K1PGV

P.S.  I just need to nit-pick a bit (it's the engineer in me).  You
wrote:

>Bottom line, 1394 was designed for streaming video and audio.  USB was
not.

On this detail I beg to differ. USB was indeed designed with streaming
both video and audio.  Witness, USB support for isochronous transfers,
which is specifically FOR streaming audio and video.  Perhaps not the
bandwidth you require, but that's a different point.