Two years ago before we redid the transmitter from the ground up to
produce a larger punch audio chain, and have all of the stages metered,
the compander was being overdriven by stages in front of it.  There was
an ad hoc scaling added by me to keep it from overdriving the stages
beyond it, in particular, always overdriving the ALC.

Eric and I were working on control problems for the compander in the
branch code and Eric did a fantastic analysis of the input and output
using the "Phil Harman Spread Sheet Analysis Style".  I am completely
sold on this.  I suggest everyone go the hamsdr download pages and get
all of Phil's spreadsheets.  They are really instructive.  Eric took a
page, he plotted the input and output and in five seconds, I knew what
the problem was.

I removed the scale and the compander now produces peaks that are full
scale.  The average power should be up by at least 2 dB.  That is not
insignificant when the lows in the voice can easily be slightly below
the noise floor.  This should improve intelligibility a lot.  SO Dave is
right.  BE CAREFUL and watch your average power.  You may need to do
adjustment now that this faux pas has been removed from PowerSDR and
dttsp v2.0 (all versions).

Alex, VE3NEA, is my favorite software author for a fee in all of amateur
radio.  Every day he produces something brilliant to be emulated.  For
example, the new Flex5000 with its ability to generate a swept
oscillator in front end,  will use the Rocky algorithm in a flash (with
huge signals) to almost perfectly balance the 5000 (image rejection).
This is based on the simple formulae Alex has given us on his Rocky SDR
page.  There is much to emulate in Alex's VoiceShaper.  I am sure we
will be doing that.

http://www.dxatlas.com/

and

http://www.dxatlas.com/rocky/

The receiver will be able to listen to the transmitter and make nearly
perfect image rejection and carrier suppression.  When asked, it will be
able to do backoff and predistortion to help eliminate IMD.  The
transmitter and predriver can be tuned (its bias) to run everything from
Class A through C.

Next, with the impulse generator in the 5000, I can estimate the impulse
response.  I have been doing some experiments where I correlate the
perfect impulse response with incoming signals to see what the type i
and type ii error probabilities look like on the noise pulse subtraction
front.  We have to balance this with effectiveness of course.  It
appears that Leif Åsbrink has the balance just about right in Linrad, so
we will be extracted that work as well as his spur elimination work.
You may expect to see this show up in PowerSDR and dttsp v2.0 in the
coming days.

This is pretty exciting.

Bob