All of the modern gadgets do it, Gerald. A circuit to receive the 
button press or remote IR/UHF signal is alive all the time. That 
circuit has a power supply independent of the switched supply in the 
case of an AC device, or a battery. The circuit just sits there and 
waits for the command. Power consumption can be extremely low.

A device like the Flex-5000 could have an internal battery powering a 
circuit to monitor the FireWire to accomplish the ON function. Maybe 
that battery could be recharged by the 12V supply when ON, or maybe not.

I don't know if that circuit is available as an inexpensive finished 
package for a FireWire device presently because I don't keep up with 
circuit designs, but the concept of a low-power circuit listening for 
a turn-on signal has been with us for years. Maybe your Flex-6000 
will be turned on this way if that circuit is cheap enough four years from now.

In the meantime just go ahead and ship my 5000 in late July and I 
will figure out how to switch it on manually ;-)

Jerry W4UK

At 10:58 PM 6/16/2007, Gerald Youngblood wrote:
>It would be easy to turn the power off from PowerSDR but impossible to turn
>it on.  As Tim states, the FireWire controller in the radio requires power
>in order to talk to the PC.
>Gerald
>
>Gerald Youngblood, K5SDR
>FlexRadio Systems
>Ph: 512-250-5435
>Fax: 512-233-5143
>Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Web: www.flex-radio.com
>
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tim Ellison
> > Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2007 9:22 AM
> > To: Jerry Flanders; FlexRadio List
> > Subject: Re: [Flexradio] am I the only person to do this?
> >
> > The problem is that the FLEX-5000 has to be on to control it
> > since the control cable is Firewire.  When the power is off,
> > the device (radio) does not exist as far as Windows is concerned.
> >
> > There are other (and better) ways to turn power on and off
> > remotely using TCP/IP
> >
> >
> > -Tim
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jerry Flanders
> > Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2007 9:57 AM
> > To: n3evl; FireBrick; FlexRadio List
> > Subject: Re: [Flexradio] am I the only person to do this?
> >
> > I was a little surprised that Gerald didn't design the new
> > 5000 radio to turn power on/off remotely by the PowerSDR ON
> > button. Would have made it easier to remote it. Maybe in the
> > Flex-6000 4 years from now?
> >
> > Jerry W4UK
> >
> > At 08:02 AM 6/16/2007, n3evl wrote:
> > >Haha!
> > >
> > >Yes, I admit to having done this in the past.
> > >
> > >Pete, N3EVL
> > >
> > >
> > >----- Original Message -----
> > >From: "FireBrick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >To: "FlexRadio List" <[email protected]>
> > >Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2007 7:28 AM
> > >Subject: [Flexradio] am I the only person to do this?
> > >
> > >
> > > > I've posted this to the Feature Request page.
> > > > Anyone else do a stupid thing like this? Or am I the only
> > > > technological cretin in the group?
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > This morning, I started PWSDR and could not figure out
> > why I had no
> > > > power out.
> > > > Duh!. I had not flipped the Power switch on the Flex radio.
> > > > Can the PWSDR software flash a message saying.
> > > >
> > > > "Radio is not turned on you stupid, fat bellied, beer guzzling
> > idiot!"
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > I'm used to that type of statement here.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > -----------------------------------------------------
> > > > Why do we say something is out of whack? What's a whack?
> > > > -----------------------------------------------------
> > > >
> > > > Bill H. in Chicagoland
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > FlexRadio mailing list
> > [email protected]
> > http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
> > Archive Link: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
> > FlexRadio Knowledge Base: http://kb.flex-radio.com/ FlexRadio
> > Homepage:
> > http://www.flex-radio.com/
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > FlexRadio mailing list
> > [email protected]
> > http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
> > Archive Link: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
> > FlexRadio Knowledge Base: http://kb.flex-radio.com/ FlexRadio
> > Homepage: http://www.flex-radio.com/
> >
> >


_______________________________________________
FlexRadio mailing list
[email protected]
http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
Archive Link: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
FlexRadio Knowledge Base: http://kb.flex-radio.com/
FlexRadio Homepage: http://www.flex-radio.com/

Reply via email to