Edwin:

RF Gain sets the AGC threshold. The larger the number, the smaller the 
signal will be that gets amplified by the agc. This also then sets the 
maximum agc gain. So from you last sentence in the second paragraph, 
"noise level on 80 meters ....", you have understood it completely.


Bob
N4HY




Edwin Marzan wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> I've recently been introduced to the world of 80 meters via my new 
> 40/80 meter dipole and was astounded to find out how many hams are 
> using Flex-Radios. Last night I was listening to a conversation among 
> several Flexers trying to help new Flexer set his RF gain. He 
> complained that it didn't work like his RF gain on his other radios as 
> he was expecting the Panadapter display to show a uniform decrease or 
> increase in signals as he adjusted the control.
>
> The last time I asked a question about the RF Gain and AGC I was 
> referred to a whitepaper on the subject that was quite deep. As I 
> listened to the Flexers struggling to explain the difference they kept 
> stressing that the "Flex RF gain is digital and that's why it's 
> different, don't expect it to work like your analog RF gain". While 
> that is sort of true it doesn't really explain what is going on. I use 
> my RF gain to get rid of the loud noise level on 80 meters without 
> affecting the volume of the stronger stations and it works superbly.
>
> I was hoping someone could shed some light on the subject so that the 
> next time this comes up I could explain it to everyone's satisfaction.
>
>
>
> Edwin Marzan
> AB2VW
>
> _________________________________________________________________
> Picture this – share your photos and you could win big! 
> http://www.GETREALPhotoContest.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> FlexRadio mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
> Archive Link: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
> FlexRadio Knowledge Base: http://kb.flex-radio.com/
> FlexRadio Homepage: http://www.flex-radio.com/
>
>   


-- 
Robert W. McGwier, Ph.D.
Center for Communications Research
805 Bunn Drive
Princeton, NJ 08540
(609)-924-4600
(sig required by employer)


_______________________________________________
FlexRadio mailing list
[email protected]
http://mail.flex-radio.biz/mailman/listinfo/flexradio_flex-radio.biz
Archive Link: http://www.mail-archive.com/flexradio%40flex-radio.biz/
FlexRadio Knowledge Base: http://kb.flex-radio.com/
FlexRadio Homepage: http://www.flex-radio.com/

Reply via email to