Back when I built my Twin Cities and HAL ST-6 TUs,
transmitters with FSK FM'd the transmit frequency
back and forth between Mark and Space.  A very
few transmitters had FSK.  You usually had to dig
into the VFO and use a diode and capacitor to
shift the frequency.

Later, as a shortcut to getting on the air with
RTTY, some hams started using AFSK generators from
VHF RTTY into SSB transmitters to generate a
pseudo-FSK signal on HF.  AFSK is not legal on HF.

If they were strong, or their carrier suppression
was not good, you could hear the third frequency
of their carrier.  And, sometimes other signals as
well, especially if they had the mic gain cranked
up.  Definitely not a legal FSK signal.

Then came "low-tone" AFSK generators that had a
lower pair than the 2125/2975, because a lot of
SSB transmitters couldn't pass the 2975.  Then
170 Hertz shift.

If you are transmitting RTTY, what frequency are
you transmitting on?  The Mark or Space?  Or some
offset where a SSB carrier should be?

The problem we have is third party software that
assumes we are using a SSB transmitter and uses
AFSK tones to generate pseudo-FSK.

Mike - AA8K