True but I think you already know I did HMM using mixtures of Gaussians
in 1986 in possibly the best set of  technical papers I ever wrote at
our common place of business.   In a more refined version of it later,
applied to Markov chains and not to continuous time and space stochastic
processes,  it was Desjardin's vote for paper of the year because he
loudly proclaimed it so in a meeting with management.   Between the
several of us here with this experience, we definitely know enough to
tackle this problem.  That said, we are definitely going to have make
this "user tunable".   On my new supercomputer,  with a Intel QX6880
(Core 2 Quad Extreme),  and a high end GPU graphics card with its 128
little floating point supercomputers and Intel's top of the line
motherboard,  I will be able run at least my Markov chain on a mixture
of a few gaussians since the solution for the separated Ricatti
equations for the covariance is a simple 2nd order ODE and the
conditional mean can be quantized in time, discretized in value to the
point it applies.  But if I were running a 3 GHz Sempron,  I probably
would give up 10 dB of perfection to get 10 dB of suppression and still run!

The "extended Kalman Filter and smoother" is particularly well suited to
handling the mixture of Gaussian stochastic processes in lots of cases.
When I successfully demodulated the Soviet VEGA balloon probe
transmission for Ed Posner at JPL this was exactly what I used.   It
definitely paid to have a Cray supercomputer in those days!  Now, my new
supercomputer on my desk will outperform it by a lot in scalar
arithmetic but with SSE4 and EMT64, in all but a few examples,  it will
nearly equal it in vector performance with the exception of scatter
gather to the vectors of course.  For shorter vectors,  less than a
vector of vectors,  the Core 2 Quad extreme will all outperform the Cray
2 because of the huge startup latency in the memory bandwidth on the
Cray.  What was it Seymour said?  Something like "It is a computer
design I dashed off and made from personal computer parts".  The memory
bus frequency on 64 bit wide memory is 800 MHz on my desktop!  I decided
to forego the high speed memory bus technology, that which will natively
support the full 1.33 GHz FSB, because Intel does not yet believe in it
enough to put out a motherboard.  The one I chose,  takes the Core 2
Quad 1.33 GHz FSB and interfaces it to the 800 MHz memory bus
seamlessly.  I can live with 1.25 nsec clocks to memory!  With PCI-E,  I
will have better I/O than we did on the Cray 2!

FORGET THE GOOD OLD DAYS.  We are in them.

Bob
N4HY

--
Robert W. McGwier, Ph.D.