Following Tim's suggestions, I modified the VAC sample rate to 48 KHz and
the MixW sample to 12 KHz. I also used the VAC settings shown in the
revised KB article on how to setup the VAC software. Audio and VAC buffers
(in the PowerSDR setup) are now both set to 1024. I haven't yet upgraded
VAC from 4.04 to 4.07; I'll take care of that tomorrow.

I see an immediate, dramatic improvement in my signal on the waterfall. I
can still hear a few pops in my headphones but the horizontal lines have
completely disappeared. There are no longer any black bars where power
goes to zero. The "idle" signal is a clean pair of parallel lines.

My power still varies but I'm guessing this is not a serious problem, or
maybe is completely normal (?) (whereas the popping and dropouts were
not). BTW, I incorrectly summarized Larry's observations in my last
posting. He sees the power fluctuations but not the popping and dropouts.

Sam W2SNX