I have been jumping into almost all of the SDR related
discussions on eHam with the "guns ablazing" for 4+ years
now. What I have noted is that there has been a very
noticeable shift in mindset and understanding about the
usefulness and advantages of SDR's in general, and more
specifically the PC based implementations such as the Flex's.

In some of the earlier rounds of discussions there were just
a few of us citing what the technology COULD be bringing to
the ham radio table for usability enhancements. Just about
all comments then were in the context of what's in store for
the FUTURE (mine included). Many of the other respondents
were vehemently against the idea of SDR's, and PC's in
general "just because". And perhaps many more simply didn't
understand what it was all about, so they were effectively
not for it either.

In the more recent rounds of these eHam discussions; and in
this last one in particular, there is a very significant
shift in the ratio of those who do now KNOW what the
advantages are because it IS now here vs. those who do not.
And most of those who have really used it as it stands today
can articulate their own experiences and perceptions because
it is all very REAL. Additionally all of the things still
being talked about "for the future" just don't seem so lofty
anymore either.

As far as the "the coming of the SDR's" eHam type discussions
go, this one so far has had a very high percentage of
postings from those who like it, and/or genuinely want to try
it. And I have been noticing a very subtle but steady trend
in this same direction over the last several years now.
Whether there will be a classic "tipping point" of the masses
or not still remains to be seen, but the steadily increasing
acceptance of the (PC)SDR trend is clearly evident.

Duane
N9DG