This has come up before and this was the answer given by Bob McGwier one
of the SDR programmers, quoted below.

I personally switched to the Eltima VSP and have had no troubles since,
it's been about 2 months now.

"vCom has served us very well indeed thanks to Phil and as always, the
price was indeed right.
Many experience drop outs of the serial lines between your external
programs and the PowerSDR.
I have looked for an alternative to vCom for quite a while that might
fix this issue since I could monitor
ports and see that all applications were still talking and that the vCom
ports were becoming black holes.
Closing and opening fixed the problem but this is not an acceptable
solution. For those of you who are
new to PowerSDR and Flex radio, there are no wires between your logging
and rotor and contesting
programs and the radio. It is done VIRTUALLY inside the computer. The
virtual glue we have been
using is vCom. I am recommending an alternative, VSPD, if you find
yourself having trouble with vCom.
Unfortunately, there is no really usable free alternative I can find.
Development on all of this was stymied
when we were going to move to Visual Studio > 2005 and .NET 2.0 but
developmental delays have prevented this.
I want every SDR-1000 and Flex 5000 to have the best possible experience
with their radio so I wish to
recommend an alternative that is NOT free. You can download it and try
it for 14 days and prove to yourself
that you no longer have drop outs.
http://www.eltima.com/products/vspdxp/
http://www.eltima.com/de/products/vspdxp/
I recommend if you download the trial version, you unload vCom (this is
easy) and load this as a replacement
for the fourteen days it is free to use. Unlike VAC, it will not start
shouting by me now but will just
say "it is time for you to purchase" when you try to open the control
panel. I have run this product now
for two months since it was recommended to me by someone here to try. I
believe that was Ken, N9VV, but
I am uncertain. If it was Ken, thank you, if it was not Ken, my
apologies for not writing down who it was.
Here are the things I do know. I have not had a virtual serial port drop
out in two months. I have not had the
occasional other problems that I believe were associated with vCom. The
product is not cheap. It is a flat $100.00
for a single copy. If 21 of you band together, it is $50.00 each. I can
recommend it as wonderfully easy to use,
as easy as vCom. The GUI is no more functional that vCom but VSPD has
more capabilities than vCom which
you can find out by trying it yourself for a free 14 day trial. I spent
the $100 to make sure it was sound before
I recommended it.
I can.
73's Bob N4HY"
-- AMSAT Director and VP Engineering. Member: ARRL, AMSAT-DL, TAPR,
Packrats, NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC. ARRL SDR WG Chair
"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're
going to be locked up." Hunter S. Thompson"