I've have tried to achieve 512 buffers at 96 kHz. I'm not using 192 kHz
because I want a sharper CW rx filter shape. 192 kHz would be OK for SSB,
but on CW the display is too compressed.

I can do 512 buffers at 96 kHz, but it gets unstable. CW break-in can crash
the system. The 5000A gets stuck in a state where the panadapter display
looks frozen even when changing the frequency. Cycling the 5000A power off
and back on again, gets me going again. I've found 1024 buffers fixes it.
Also listening to WWV has get choppy at 512.

1024 buffers are OK, except I would like to get the latency reduced. I am
using a 2.6 GHz P4 with 1 GB RAM. Is this typical with a P4 system? Would a
dual core help? I've tried two Firewire cards with the same results. I can
try to trim down Windows XP and turn off some services.

The bottom line is I'd like to know if the buffer size for the sample rate
is typical, or if I need to do some system tweaks.

73,

Steve N6VL