Alan NV8A wrote:
> On 12/23/07 01:36 pm Tim Ellison wrote:
>
>> You will not always get the "Found new hardware" message.  Particularly if
>> the device driver is already registered with Windows.
>>
>> The  FLEX-5000 hardware is registered as a sound device under Windows.
>> Windows wouldn't know a radio if it jumped up and slapped Billy G. in the
>> face. (which is one of the many reasons why the next version of the software
>> will not have Windows as the primary OS for running the radio)
>
> You mean I'll be able to dump Windozzze and use Linux on my shack
> computer!? How about being able to compile the source code for "The OS
> for which Windows was merely a placeholder" (= IBM's OS/2, still alive,
> -- despite IBM's best efforts -- well, and ever improving -- thanks in
> no small part to dedicated programmers in Russia and Ukraine -- at
> www.ecomstation.com)?
>
> 73
>
> Alan NV8A

That is the goal and using parallels or bootcamp on OSX or KVM/QEMU on
Linux will get you the windows support needed for legacy applications.
You will regret not having a Core 2 processor if you intend running
Windows on KVM on Linux.  My Linux machine running Windows XP SP2 under
KVM/QEMU  and using VS 2003 compiles powersdr faster than my P4 HT
running XP!  Alas, there is no serious IO MMU hardware yet so things
like firewire and usb are not or poorly supported respectively.  The
device cannot magically appear in KVM/QEMU in the "right place" and
owned by the guest yet.  But it is clear, this is coming.  Soon, we will
not be having this argument.  You will seamlessly run whatever you want
to WITHOUT having to dual or even triple boot.

But full and complete support of what is coming down the road many moons
out will require an eventual migration of some of the work to a Linux
machine.  Just not tomorrow or next month.

Bob

“An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why
must the pessimist always run to blow it out?” Descartes