Absolutely Paul

Guys, I've been running my SDR 1000 since early 2005 without problem. In
that time the only real concern I've had was with latency in the monitoring
circuit. It's gone now. The guys at Flex will take care of business.

(Abandon the windows operating system? Don't kid yourself. That isn't going
to happen as long as windows is number 1 and in more houses than any
software in the world)

It doesn't matter to me one way or another what programming language or
software they use to make my radio work. What matters to me is that it works
and works right. Isn't that the most important thing here?
I'm going to relax, enjoy and let these guys worry about the fine print. I
have to get my words in everyday.

73 De n5ifi

<<How about an answer as to why..........>

Based on what is said, and my professional background, here is my take of
"why"....

Correctly implemented, the original development environment used is
indivisible to the end user. Windows users will see it as a Windows
application.
Don't get lost in the technical details.

Using Linux for development provides a number of advantages for the
developer which is not available in Windows development environments. These
include
an operating systems which is completely visible (at all levels) to  the
programmers. This allows the development team to focus on the technology
they are
developing without having to do troubleshooting battle with a  non-visible
underlining OS.

Often when developing real-time software, or any unusual  application, one
uncovers previously unknown problems in the OS code. If  the OS code isn't
completely visible you end up spending far more time  trying to "prove" it's
the OS
problem instead of "your" code. It is  far easier in more simple systems
such
as Linux -- particularly when you can  open the source code and review
what's
really happening.

In addition, there seems to be, in my view, a larger number of open source
programmers working in the Linux environment than in Windows. This is, in my

opinion, part of the open source cultural's view of open source being a "Us

againt Microsoft". This leads to more successful Linux open source programs
than
 open source Windows. Again, porting allows everyone to benefit in the end.
In  the end, hard-core highly technical programmers like Linux better so
they'll be  far more productive there.

Once your code is proven, it is easier to identify OS problems during the
port. This is particularly true now that there is such a large selection of

available software tools to help do the ports.

-p

Re: [Flexradio] So, the new PowerSDR is moving to Linux?
icstars
Wed,  26 Dec 2007 17:27:40 -0800
How about an answer as to  why..........

Owen  KB5XE  >>>>