-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steve Nance
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2008 2:25 PM
To: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: [Flexradio] Flex-5000 & VAC

Just made a major breakthrough and wanted to tell the group. Probably
everyone but me knows this but I'll tell it anyway. I have been playing in
the Bartag RTTY Sprint contest today using the 5K and DXLabs (WinWarbler).
Had to use VAC to connect things together. This is the first time I've tried
to work a RTTY contest with the 5K. Turns out the delay in VAC everyone has
been talking about is almost intolerable during a contest because of the
fast turnaround times. Wasn't that much fun in a rag chew either.

I decided to try and find a way around this problem. I have an unused sound
card (D44) in the PC I'm running the 5K on just sitting there so me thinks
why not plug the 5K sound card outputs into the D44 and use it instead of
VAC. IT WORKS! No more cracks, pops, farts and delays. Like night and day
difference. Really makes the 5K a pleasure to use in a contest now.

All it takes is two cables from the 5K to the sound card (RCA phono to 1/8
stereo plug (tip) x 2). All parts are avail at your local Radio Shack if not
in your junk box. Connect cables as follows:
1) 5K Audio Out to sound card Line In
2) 5K Audio In to sound card Line Out (spkr)

In the 5K Audio Mixer select the Line In/Out RCA controls.
In your Digital software select the sound card you plugged into as audio
source.

Like I said, probably everyone knows this but me, but if you don't, try it
you'll like it.

Steve (K5FR)