I would like to hijack the scroll wheel circuit in an old mouse, so that
I can connect external devices and use them to tune the VFO in PowerSDR.

Does anyone know how the scroll wheel circuit operates in a Logitech
mouse?  I would have thought that there would simply be two optical
paths that would give quadrature drive signals, but probing around with
my scope, leads me to believe that it is much more complex than that.
There seem to be bursts of 6 us pulses regardless of whether the wheel
is being operated or not.  When the wheel is operated, other pulses
appear in the gaps between the bursts.

Does anyone know what this is all about?

73, Greg, ZL3IX