And, interestingly, Rob Sherwood agrees with you (If I can presume to
speak for him, based on my reading his commentary.. he'll probably
weigh in)  He comments on the problem of making decisions on numbers
that actually have fairly high uncertainty.

Ok, I will weigh in.

The numbers gives one the option to rule out some equipment that may not meet
your operating habits.   I am not going to want to buy a radio with a close-in
IMD DR3 in the low 60s if I want to operate CW contests.   If what I do is rag
chew with a few friends in the middle of the week on SSB, it probably doesn't
matter what rig is in my shack.  The rig I want for my main operating position
is certainly going do be different from what I want in my car where size may be
the most important factor.  The League has said that some hams will pick a rig
because it is 2 dB better than another product.  Unfortunately they fostered
this concept by publishing numbers to tenths of a dB.  Noise floor is easy to
measure, yet if you did a test on a radio every hour for 24 hours, you would
get different numbers by 1 or 2 dB as it warmed up over that long a time.
Don't get lost in the minutia.

I put a big emphasis on how a radio sounds during extended operation.  That
requires a lot of listening, and pages of write-up, which is not going to
appear in a table on the web.  A review in Passport to Worldband Radio, an SWL
publication, goes into all sorts of Pros and Cons for every model, and looks at
inband audio distortion, AGC operation, ergonomics, etc.  One would hope that
reviews in Amateur publications, which have pages of space to allocate, would
be filled with this kind of detail.  Unfortunately that rarely happens, but
often is full of unsupportable off-the-cuff comments.  What good is a review
that says X radio puts out 2.2 watts of audio at 10% distortion?  A totally
messed up audio chain could pass that test.  Who in their right mind would want
to listen to 10% distortion?  The ear/brain has an astounding ability to hear
in-band distortion that is 60 dB down or more.  If voice or CW notes have
distortion products that go out to 10 kHz, the radio will be very fatiguing to
those of us who have not suffered hearing loss from age or high-noise
environments.

An AGC that exaggerates every little click, tick and pop drives me nuts, and I
now have developed a lab test to evaluate at least part of this problem.  Some
of the more recent equipment will be re-evaluated in this respect, and data
added to my web site over time.  Some newer DSP radios perform very poorly in
QRN, yet our Amateur publications have either completely missed this problem,
or are afraid to touch it.

There is a valid concern that a radio can be made to pass a test that is not
valid or no longer valid.  When the League made IMD DR3 tests in the 70s at 20
kHz only, it was generally valid for the architectures of that time.  Then the
up-conversion, multi-IF radios came along and the 20 kHz test became
incomplete.  In 1977 I started publishing close-in data at 2 kHz since it
tested a radio more like a contest pileup.  It took the League 20 years to add
5-kHz data, and even longer to include 2 kHz data.  Is 2 kHz testing some magic
number?  No, but data taken at less than 1 kHz becomes rather theoretical.
Unless the OEMs really start cleaning up the key click problem, and reducing
phase noise even more, it is going to be hard to work a 1 uV signal when they
guy 1 kHz away is 70 dB stronger.  Key click sidebands and transmitted phase
noise will likely overwhelm the weak signal, even if the receiver is "perfect".

When the Flex 5000A was going to come down the pike, I was loaned an SDR-1000
before the 5000A was available, so I could get my feet wet in the concept and
the software.  The 5000A was only in my lab for a couple weeks, with very early
software.  Initially I was very concerned that classic tests would be invalid
or at least incomplete in evaluating the 5000A's performance.  Surprisingly I
did not find that to be the case.  The normal numbers are excellent, and those
who have used it in contests in the last few months have found it performs
quite well.

If the numbers are good, and the radio flunks contest 101, then obviously the
tests are no good.  There is something to be said for testing a radio with
wideband noise, with a notch in the passband, and looking for the integrated
power to fill in the notch with distortion products.  Maybe a European
publication could tackle that idea since 40 meter broadcast signal level is
such an issue on that side of the pond.

What it really comes down to is whether the operator enjoys using the rig.  A
radio with menus many levels deep may be intuitive to some, and an enigma to
others.  I may want to reach up and turn a knob, and others like to click a
mouse.  Neither is right or wrong.  Now we have new approaches from US OEMs
that are offering different ways to provide top-notch performance.  What more
could we ask for?

73, Rob Sherwood, NC0B