If you've ever operated within a few
miles of someone on 160 running full power to a full
size vertical, you'll understand what I mean >

Bill

In 1976 I bought a shiny new TS-820S.  I used to run mostly 75M in those days
usually 3895 or 3898.  I had a neighbor who was a ham also who ran 3930.  He
also ran a TS-820.  He ran a pair of 3-500's like a L-4B or something and I was
running some un-named ceramic tube with handles.    His antenna and my antenna
were separated  by the width of my driveway plus maybe 15ft and at about the
same height.  We were  both running dipoles broadside to each other since that
was the only way we could get the antennas to fit our lots.  I am very familiar
with strong close by big signals.

I redesigned the mixer and the RF amp first in my TS-820, and then in his, and
we both could enjoy our time on the radio without any problem.  The only thing
I couldn't readily solve was the IF strip was poorly designed and had blowby of
the filter when you got down around -70dB.

I stand by my statement  All you need is enough.  Can you design a circumstance
where the F5K fails?  Of course.  Can you design a circumstance where the K-3
fails?  Of course.  That is what the test is all about.   Most guys are not
going to build a K3LR type operation.  Most guys are going to sit on their
130x100 lot and have a blast.

vy 73

W9OY