I wanted to report back on the results of my SDR-1000 fan mod
experience.

Based on Tim's suggestion, I added a fan speed controller designed by
Paul W1GHZ -- Chuck, WA3IAC sells a very reasonable kit with all the
parts.  Can't get much easier than that!

It's a very simple kit to put together... the hardest part for me was
figuring out where and how to install it in my SDR-1000 (OK, I'm not too
clever about these things -- I'm a software guy, remember?).  I wound up
affixing the controller board to the inside of the front panel, next to
the fan as Tim suggested, using some Velcro and a couple of rubber feet
as standoffs.  I put the LM34 temp sensor in the free space over one of
the PA chips and under the ATU board.  I figure this should be "good
enough" given that I don't ever run the rig over 40W out, heat rises,
and all that.  Was that a fatal error?

Results: Sure enough... the fan speeds up and the fan slows down.

So, I'm pretty pleased with that couple of hours work.  Thanks very
much, Tim.  I really appreciate that pointer to W1GHZ's design.

Another SDR-1000 user (I'm sorry, I can't find your post) was going to
swap the fan with a quieter one...  Any results from that?

de Peter K1PGV