-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Robert Dennison
Sent: Sunday, May 11, 2008 1:57 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] AGC

Hi Dale,

Sorry to take so long getting back..

I also like the AGC-T very much.  Here's the problem as I see it.

Most modern radios implement AGC as an active feedback control system
which maintains signal level at the set point the op picks by juggling AF
and RF gain.  The operative words are "FEEDBACK CONTROL SYSTEM."   Having
read the knowledge base, all of FlexRadio's information indicates that
their implementation is one of changing gain factors using AGC-T to pick
the point at which gain changes.  This is a deeply flawed implementation.
 In fact,  it is dangerous to my ears.

Consider receiving DX CW at -90dBm, I pick an AGC threshold of 72 and an
AF value of 72.  This gives me comfortable audio volume and very little
noise.  Now a local with a beam and amp calls him.   At my QTH the
local's sig strength is  -60 dbm.   That means, even if the PSDR AGC gain
is unity above the threshold. local's signal is say 30 dBm or 1000 times
louder in my ear  This is intolerable not to say painful.

If you carefully read Knowledge Base Article 10403,  it even says as
much:

"This may not always be desirable however.  For example, consider
participation in a roundtable.  You may find that this large difference
between signal volume levels causes you to keep adjusting your AF [gain]
constantly, in order to compensate for the very quiet (yet very readable)
stations, and the louder stations.  In that case, you may want to
increase the AGC-T and back off on the AF [gain] so that the volume
levels of all signals will be much more uniform – although with a higher
background level on the weaker stations."

The problem in the DX CW case is you're screaming before you can find the
mouse to make a change!  Flex really needs to understand that it's
current AGC implementation is not acceptable and in fact most likely
violates OSHA regulations...  A simple feedback control loop should not
be hard to implement in floating point SW..

very best regards to all
Rob
AB7CF