Hi Edwin,

I believe what's being said goes something like this:

-- With a so-called 'flat' response at a wide bandwidth, articulation
should be good and the character of the voice should sound natural. So a
Heil PR-40 microphone plugged into a 'flat' preamp and amplifier sounds
pretty natural and balanced when monitored with good quality headphones
or speakers.

-- When the bandwidth is restricted (for amateur radio purposes), all of
the lopping-off of frequencies occurs at the high frequencies. These are
also the frequencies that provide most of the articulation for speech.
As a result, the spectral balance is severely disrupted, leaving us with
essentially the same lows as before, but lots less of the higher
frequencies, so things begin to sound 'muddy' due to a perceived
increase in bass, (actually a loss of treble) and articulation suffers.

-- Equalization is an attempt to restore balance between low and high
frequencies, and in general is achieved by reducing the low frequencies,
and increasing the high frequencies, producing a response curve that
tilts up as frequency increases. This will always increase articulation,
but to further restore a natural spectral balance to the remaining
restricted bandwidth requires careful manipulation of levels at specific
frequencies within this range.

-- As Tim noted in a previous post, some radio manufacturers provide a
tilted response to their microphone preamp circuitry, to attempt to
compensate for their restricted bandwidth. The problem with that is that
not all microphones have a flat response, and in fact some
communications microphones have significant peaking deliberately built
in. So, a fixed rising response characteristic may work in favor of some
microphones, but may be detrimental to other microphones. FlexRadio
takes a different approach by maintaining a completely flat response
throughout the audio chain, while providing flexible tools (3 and 10
band equalizer, plus adjustable low and high corner frequencies for the
filter) to modify the balance to achieve the desired effect.

... at least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

73, Dale
WA8SRA