On the other side of the coin I have been looking forward toward the
144mhz option for use as an IF to drive my 2 meter IF microwave transverters.
Whether the output be 25 or 50 watts it would be nice to have the capability to
bypass the final stage in order to supply about 1 watt of drive for external
transverters. I’m sure I’m not the only one planning to use external
transverters. That’s sure a lot simpler than trying to attenuate 50 watts in
the transmit path without affecting the receive path. I realize that the drive
level may be software variable, but the possibility of the setting
inadvertently changing either through operator error or through a software
glitch is risky. Also, I don’t know if this is true for the flex, but some
radios when set for low power produce an initial high power pulse upon keying
which is also a concern.

Jim
K5HY