PowerSDR is not a digital mode program.  There are no current plans to make it
one since there are sooooooo many good programs available to operate digital
modes.  FLEXability is PowerSDR's first name.  There is no need to reinvent the
wheel.

"So, does one just pipe the audio bitstream to another program to do the
decoding?"

That is one way, and IMHO the preferred way to do it.  You can also cobble
together an external audio interface to a sound card in a computer in the
traditional way you connect a transceiver to a computer for digital mode
operation.

In the first case, a third party program called VAC is used to create a virtual
audio cable (VAC) between PowerSDR and the digital mode sound card program.  In
this configuration the AF between the two programs is kept entirely in the
digital domain eliminating any noise or distortion introduced in the multiple
A/D and D/A conversions.

With VAC, PowerSDR "looks" like a soundcard to the digital mode program.

See the following KB articles for more information:
FAQ: What is VAC and What Does It Do?
(http://kb.flex-radio.com/article.aspx?id=10475)
HOWTO: How to Setup Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) 4.0x with PowerSDR
(http://kb.flex-radio.com/article.aspx?id=10218)

When you combine VAC with a virtual com port (vCom or Com0Com) to provide CAT
support to the digital mode program, then you have a fully operational digital
mode station.

This will work for all digital mode programs except for the ones that require a
specific sound card to work.  In these cases, you will need to cobble together
and external audio interface using the FLEX-5000 line in/line out (RCA
connectors).

-Tim