From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Frank Brickle
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 5:48 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Jim Menefee; flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Time for an upgrade!

PowerSDR and DttSP are multithreaded, and have been since Day One.

73
Frank
AB2KT

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 2:23 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You'd think that two processor cores running side by side would surely be
faster than a single core right? And four cores working simultaneously would
certainly run circles around it? Well no, only if the application that you
are running is multithreaded and thus can take advantage of the extra cores
- remember that about 99% of all software available today is programmed to
run on a single core processor. Hence it isn't multithreaded and thus in the
vast majority of cases you won't see a speed up, as the second, third or
fourth core is just sitting there idling, or handling simple operating
system tasks that don't eat up a lot of processing power in the first place.

Jacky Winters