I built two machines recently, one for my ham radio work, which includes
connection to my Flex 5000, and one for photo and video editing (I take a
lot of pictures and videos of my granddaughter).   In both machines I used
the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU.   My photo and video machine runs Vista with
4GB of memory installed on an Abit IX38 motherboard, and my ham radio
machine runs Windows XP with 2 GB of Memory installed on a Gigabyte
EX38-DQ6.  I have been building machines for years, but I learned a few
things from this effort that I am willing to share.

*  Before selecting a motherboard do some research on the Internet paying
close attention to how well a motherboard performs handling Deferred
Procedure Calls.  My Gigabyte board has issues with DPC's as verified by my
Internet research that occurred after I purchased the board, unfortunately.
If the motherboard has poor performance handling DPC's then it is possible
that PowerSDR may freeze during operation.  My Gigabyte motherboard is
currently running a beta BIOS to correct its DPC issues.  I had issues with
PowerSDR freezing prior to this update.

*  Vista may work with PowerSDR but I have found that in general Windows XP
does a better job in handling DPC's and therefore working with PowerSDR.  I
tried using both Vista and XP with PowerSDR and I got better results with
XP.

*  Use good quality computer cables on all connections with ferrite beads.

*  Use a good quality power supply.