Gerald Youngblood wrote:
> Dear Chris,
>
> With respect, I must say that your statement below is simply false.  We make
> a significant investment in PowerSDR software development, which includes
> ongoing support for the SDR-1000.  We receive NO ongoing revenue from from
> any of our existing customers to help pay for support and improvements.  New
> FLEX-5000 sales pay for the free improvements that you and our other
> customers receive on a daily basis through the SVN.

Dear Gerald,
I have the sense that software improvements is a commitment from
FlexRadio and it is included in your old motto: "The radio that keeps
getting better".

> With regard to RX and TX image calibration by band, the FLEX-5000 has built
> in test equipment (BITE).  The SDR-1000 simply does not.  To do the
> calibration by band on the SDR-1000, we would need to automate through
> software an external spectrum analyzer and signal generator using a GPIB
> interface.  Even on Ebay, the test equipment to do that would cost at least
> $5000.  The software work to do that would be costly as well.  There is
> simply not a practical or cost effective way to do this on the SDR-1000.

I consider per band image calibration a major feature and certainly you
don't need to have BITE in the sdr1k for this purpose. The least one
needs is just a second tranceiver and the permission  from  the software
(PowerSDR) to let you store different settings for each band. It is that
simple.

> FlexRadio has made a long term commitment to support the SDR-1000 in future
> software architectures.  This means only cost to FlexRadio and not revenue.
> That means that SDR-1000 and FLEX-5000 owners will continue get new features
> and even performance enhancements at no cost.

I agree on that.

>  I don't think you will find that commitment coming from any of the guys
> across the Pacific.

That's why I am demanding from FlexRadio.

> There is an old saying that goes, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth
> because..."

A horse with rotten teeth is completely useless even as a gift, so a
look in its mouth is mandatory.

And please consider my comments as well-intentioned.

73 de Chris (sv1fxo)