> I'm not sure this article is representative of the Flex experience.

This is probably all a tangent, but...

>From my viewpoint, as a professional software engineer who finds the PowerSDR
>design and development process both frustrating and unfriendly, it captures
>the Flex experience EXACTLY.  From usability issues, to design issues, to
>"coding before design" and "scratching their own itch"... I see it in PowerSDR.

That doesn't mean that the Flex product isn't a great radio.  In fact, I think
-- PowerSDR warts and all -- it's a TERRIFIC radio, that works INCREDIBLY well.
 I wouldn't want to have to go back to a conventional radio.  I don't know how
I could live without the panadapter, for example.  And to think this has been
done almost entirely by community contributions is, quite frankly, a testament
to the community's enthusiasm and generosity.

But PowerSDR could really be so much more.  And, I think that would help it
attract even more users.

Just as many Linux community vendors have found a "third way" -- professional
engineering staffs that do the "hard work" and in the end contribute to the
overall open product -- I think Flex would benefit from additional full-time
devs and an experienced full-time software development manager or architect.
Not to replace the community-developed content, but to help enhance, guide, and
round it out.  To bring some standard engineering discipline to the process.
To work the issues that don't scratch anybody's itch.  To keep moving the
overall commercial vision for the product forward.

I grant that quality, full-time, software staff costs money.  And I have no
idea whatsoever if that is or even could be within Flex's budget.  But *I*
think as Flex continues to mature, enhancing their in-house software
development capabilities should be a key part of their strategy.

de Peter K1PGV