Brian,

Not sure if you're aware of it or not, but depressing the 'SHIFT' key
while tuning with the mouse wheel drops it's tuning step by a factor of
10. So if you don't mind two-fisted operation, you'll find that you can
really get around the band and still fine-tune cw and ssb stations very
quickly using that method.

Also, not all mouse wheels are created equal. I've switched to using
several Logitech wireless mice that allow the mouse wheel to either
'free-wheel' (my favorite mode)  or operate with the usual detents. I
use their model "VX Revolution" with the laptop, and the "MX Revolution"
with the desktop. I also have the Shuttle Pro2, which works well, but
I've found that nothing is faster than 'click tuning', and since my hand
is already on the mouse, using the free-wheeling mouse wheel in
combination with the 'shift' key is a mighty efficient tuning method.
However, the many programmable buttons on the ShuttlePro2 do come in
handy for other non-tuning operations.

73, Dale
WA8SRA