-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Larry W8ER
Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2008 1:27 PM
To: Lee A Crocker; Flex Reflector
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Problem with 5K and Henry Classic

Lee et all,

First, thanks to all for the input. A piece of gear, that is well built,
hardly assumes blame because of it's age! However, if you read my post you
should see that I am suspecting just that, the Henry input circuit, not the
Flex. The switching relays, in the Henry,  may be too slow to switch the amp
input circuit before power is up on the 5K. A setting in the Flex software
allows you to hold off RF for the specified time thus allowing any amp to
fully switch. The default is 100 ms. Since a frame type relay, used in many
of the old amps, should switch in 20 to 40 ms, the default should be
sufficient. BUT .. in this case something killed the 5K. I do not in any way
suspect the Flex but I am looking for ideas.

My personal suspicion leads me to think that the relay itself may be
defective, instead of just slow. My post was an effort to find out if anyone
else has experienced this same problem because there should be a heck of a
lot of these old style amps, with open frame relays, out there tied to Flex
SDR-5000A's.

The kicker is that my Kenwood TS-870 isn't having any problem with it! I
hope that explains my thinking a little better.

-- Larry W8ER

Lee A Crocker wrote:
> I'd be worrying about either the input circuit or the relay in the Henry.
Why would you put a "new" 30 year old piece of gear in line and when an
already stable link in the chain breaks, presume that link is the culprit?
I would be very suspect of that amp.

> 73  W9OY

Checked by AVG.
9:05 AM