Just a thought
    I once had to do something similar on a piece of equipment that could only
be powered up via a button on a scanned keypad matrix. I wired an optocoupler
across the keyboard "on" closure position of the matrix to maintain complete
isolation then was able to control the on-off through the optocoupler using
external control. It would take some internal wiring and I haven't looked at
the 5000 schematic, but I believe it should be possible. To make it simpler,
maybe just a momentary relay contact closure will do the trick. Possibly
control the relay from one of the handshaking lines of the computer serial port
while you are connected via VNC and using hyperterminal? Someone more familiar
with RS-232 control than me, would have to let you know if that's possible.

Jim
K5HY