On 12/30/08 6:34 AM, "ab...@juno.com" <ab...@juno.com> wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> Back in my working days we used CORBA a bunch.
>
> Now the guys tell me they use the latest version of HTML to do what CORBA
> tried to do.  Don't know the details but do know they are wildly successful!
>
> Best regards,
> Rob
> AB7CF

Like SOAP? I suppose the idea of HTTP as the transport for a middleware
message passing is much like CORBA, and web servers are already set up to
dispatch various kinds of requests to various kinds of services, etc. I've
always thought of CORBA as a "within a single machine" sort of thing, while
SOAP, etc., being "among many machines", but, of course, both are really
architecture independent.

None of them are particularly "lightweight" when it comes to resources and
determinism on a fine scale.