Rob, Frank

Thanks for the input. SOAP, usually over HTTP, is as you say very
lethargic and entirely unsuited to this type of system. It's also a
pretty low level of abstraction. CORBA I believe is pretty much dead
except for a bunch of niche users. There are some good alternative
commercial offerings but I'm looking for open source as all my stuff is
open source. I have a test bed in pylink-sr and as Ice has Python
bindings this would be a low-cost way to get a comparison. At the moment
I am using net-jack for audio distribution and Pyro for control
distribution. Moving both of those over to Ice would give me a good
side-by-side comparison of performance and relative code complexity. It
will be interesting if nothing else.

73
Bob
G3UKB