I am not really a contester but I do play around in them. I have found that
using two monitors solves most of those issues.

Art, K8JK

________________________________
From: Joel Harrison <w...@arrl.org>
To: flexradio@flex-radio.biz
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 8:40:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] FlexRadio Digest, Vol 45, Issue 28

Greetings Ruben,

This is an annoying issue for contest/Expedition operation that I wish Flex
could find a solution for.

During a contest I have my logging program (I use N1MM) and PowerSDR on the
same computer. All works great, interfaces fine and there are no issue with
the exception that I cannot change frequency, either with the mouse wheel or
with the Griffin Powermate, without having the PowerSDR window in focus
(active). Of course, when I do that the N1MM logger window is not in focus
(active) and I have to continually click back and fourth between the two. It
isn't a problem if I'm running stations on a single frequency, as I just
keep the N1MM window in focus (active) and all is well, but when I S&P or
need to change frequency it is a problem because I have to continually click
back and fourth between N1MM and PowerSDR even though I have both windows
always viewable on the screen. Of course a "mouse click" is very quick but
it adds an additional step into a process that should not be (and isn't with
conventional radios) required.

Working a pileup in a split frequency scenario would be the same and having
to continually switch back and fourth between PowerSDR and your logging
program to bring each one into focus (active) will slow down your rate.

I've been compiling an "improvement wish list" from my contest operation to
send to Flex in hopes they can incorporate some of them.

Having the ability to just simply change frequency in PowerSDR with either
the mouse wheel or another external device (Griffin PowerMate, ShuttlePRO,
etc) without PowerSDR being in focus would be a HUGE improvement for contest
operation.

I'm sure the software guys are going to tell me it is much easier said than

73 Joel W5ZN