Mismatch doesn't affect shielding.
If you transition from your balanced openwire line to the pair of coaxes,
there's no reason why there should be any currents on the outside of the
coax shield. If there were, you could always choke it with the usual
appropriate ferrite or powdered metal cores.

Observed mismatch on a feed line (at the transmitter end) might be a symptom
of currents on the outside (e.g. The TL is acting as part of the antenna),
but the converse isn't true (consider an example case: a shorting plug at
the far end of a piece of coax... It won't radiate any more or less than the
same coax with a terminating load, and that's an infinite mismatch).

The case of feeding a 40m antenna on 20m is an interesting one. If the line
is balanced, there's no real reason why it would be carrying any common mode
current and radiate.  Of course, *real* antennas are hardly ever balanced in
installation, so they will couple unevenly to the balanced pair, and having
the voltage peak at the feedpoint just aggravates it. However, I don't think
a section of paired coax will make this appreciably worse, at least not from
the "bump" in the impedance of the TL down the line.

Voltage breakdown IS a potential issue with large mismatch, just like
happening to have the coax pair at a current peak and getting large loss
(which can melt the dielectric or center conductor).