OK, the USB adapter works (and has always worked) on Vista 32! I have
urged many people to try this, but it seems they have not tried hard
enough. Or maybe the ones who succeeded have kept that information to
themselves.

Great work Paul. Thanks also to Bill Tracey for helping out.

It's obvious there are some hurdles to overcome if you want to use
Vista. Simply installing the USB driver distributed by FlexRadio may
not be sufficient for some users, and you have to try different driver
versions or remove conflicting drivers like in this case.

Interestingly, this is not the first time someone had problems because
of the Vweb device. See this post (and the previous posts) on hpsdr
archives:
    http://lists.hpsdr.org/htdig.cgi/hpsdr-hpsdr.org/2008-October/007119.html

73, Sami OH2BFO