Dear Flexers,

It has been a while since I gave everyone an update from FlexRadio so here
goes.

First, as a sidebar, our new tag line is, "Tune in excitement!" (TM).  We
believe that it communicates what we hear from our customers as well as the
benefit we want to deliver in all our products.

FLEX-3000 Update:

We just returned from the Orlando Hamcation this past weekend, where we were
showing the FLEX-3000 beta production unit for the first time at a hamfest.
We packed the radio and a laptop computer in a single laptop bag for carry
on to our flight.  By the way, the color blue won out in our poll for paint
color on the FLEX-3000.  Thanks to all of you who participated in the poll.

We received an overwhelmingly positive response from everyone who saw the
unit in Orlando.  We are now completing assembly of the remaining beta units
and preparing for production release and expect to begin production
shipments in April or sooner, given the current plan.

Before the show we did initial performance measurements on the receiver.
We want to complete testing on the remaining beta units before releasing
final specifications.  I can say that two-tone, third order dynamic range
with the preamp off will exceed 90 dB at 2 kHz spacing or even 100 Hz
spacing (IMD DR3 does not degrade at close spacing as found on typical
hybrid DSP transceivers, a.k.a. Firmware Defined Radios.  If you would like
to see where that stacks up against other radios, see the Dynamic Range
Narrow Spaced column on Rob Sherwood's site at
http://www.sherweng.com/table.html.

Given our current backlog and order rate, it is likely we will sell out the
FLEX-3000 first production run within the next few days.  Note that
introductory pricing of $1,499.00 for pre orders will end February 28th and
will revert to the regular price of $1,599.00 for orders received
thereafter.

PowerSDR(TM)/Software Update:

A number of customers are currently beta testing a preview release of the
signed 64-bit drivers for Windows Vista.  We expect that the official
release will occur in about 3-4 weeks.  If you would like to be added to the
beta test group for the 64-bit driver, please email e...@flex-radio.com.

As most of you may know by now, we are hard at work on the "new virtual
radio software architecture" to achieve three primary objectives:
multi-platform support (Windows, Mac, and Linux), rapid/flexible graphical
user interface (GUI) development using thin-client technology, and
integrated remote operation.  We had hoped to preview the new architecture
at the Dayton Hamvention but the job has proved to be larger than originally
anticipated.  However, our development team is making significant progress
in prototyping the new system to prove that we can achieve our main goals.

In the interim, we are in the process of giving PowerSDR a completely new
look and feel for introduction in Dayton.  I am confident you will like what
you see.  Also, there is significant work in the area of adaptive signal
processing in the DSP arena that will roll out over the upcoming weeks and
months.  This includes major improvements in wideband image rejection, AGC,
automatic noise reduction, etc.  These efforts leverage for the amateur
market work in process on a government contract, which is well under way.

2m/70cm Internal Transverter for FLEX-5000:

We have completed the preliminary architectural design for an internal
2m/70cm Transverter that may be installed in any FLEX-5000 equipped with the
B-0034 version RFIO board.  It will provide simplex or full duplex
transmit/receive operation with power output up to 60W on both bands.  All
transverter oscillators are to be locked to the 500 MHz master oscillator in
the FLEX-5000, which in turn is locked to the internal 0.5ppm reference or
may be connected to an external 10 MHz reference.  We are targeting a first
prototype unit in May to be followed by production deliveries starting in
the late summer.

FLEX-1500 Entry Level SDR:

The FLEX-1500 is a low cost, entry level SDR targeted for highly portable
operation. It operates over a single USB connection and does not require a
sound card.  Its receiver will offer a 48 kHz panadapter bandwidth and a
tuning range from 11 kHz through 60 MHz and will transmit on amateur bands
from 160-6m.  Based on customer feedback, we have decided to increase power
output from 1W to 5W.  The unit will also be capable low power operation and
external frequency reference for use as a transverter IF.  We expect initial
deliveries to begin by early fall.  The $499.00 introductory price for pre
orders will end February 28 and will be $579.00 for orders received
thereafter.  Note that you will not be charged for pre orders until the
product ships.

Final Note:

It was a true pleasure to see so many FlexRadio customers in Orlando and to
hear how you are enjoying their radios.  Those of us who work here truly
appreciate your support and feedback.

73,
Gerald

Gerald Youngblood, K5SDR